For the Cordaid Country offices in Central African Republic Cordaid is looking for a
Senior Finance Manager
In the Central African Republic, Cordaid is currently running programs in Bangui (the headoffice) and in Damara, Bouar, Bozoum, Bocaranga, Bangassou, Bossangoa, Alindao, Berberati and Mobaye where Cordaid has sub-offices. Cordaid CAR has about 150 employees in the country.
Cordaid is optimizing subsidiarity between Head and Country office. In the shift from grant giving to grant seeking organisation operations in the country become more and more complex. Consortia with different stakeholders plus a multitude of donors and formats, rules and regulations need to be monitored. Reinforcing the capacity in the office in view of taking on more responsibilities requires high level qualified senior financial staff willing and able to work in a difficult fragile context were Cordaid works.
Position and responsibility
The Senior Financial Manager, as Head of the Finance unit, is responsible for all aspects of overall financial management of Cordaid Central African Republic.
He/she is part of the Senior Management Team and reports to the Director Country Office and works closely with colleagues based in the office and in some sub offices in the country, as well as with the Financial Controllers and Financial Advisors at the Global Office in The Netherlands. He/she will also liaise with representatives and financial officers of counterpart partner organizations.
General objective of the posting
The Senior Financial Manager is responsible for managing the accounts receivables and payables of the organization with the support of the finance team comprising 2 Project Controllers, 1 Accountant and 1 Financial Controller. He/she will develop the organization’s budget, oversee the preparation of financial reports and will be involved in directing financial processes in country. He/she is also responsible for planning the organization’s long-term financial goals and protecting the organization’s assets.
In collaboration with relevant Program Staff, Project Controllers, Project Leaders and Country Director:
- Prepare budgets, both for (externally financed) projects as well as support units, on annual basis or other frequency, as may be appropriate;
- On basis of budget performance, prepare budget revisions for approval to relevant parties;
- Carry out regular budget monitoring (budget vs expenditure) and advice relevant staff and Country Director, pro-actively and on request, on all areas of attention on budget performance and the office’s cost recovery;
- Prepare and maintain cash flow forecast based on the various budgets.
Daily financial management
- Coordinates the activities of, and provides advice and guidance to, the financial staff in the Cordaid offices elsewhere in the country;
- Ensures that cash- and bank balances are sufficient at all times, which will include complete and timely cash requests to the head offices in the Netherlands;
- Ensures that procurement requests meet with financial requirements and are supported by provision in the (relevant) budgets;
- Reviews all requests for payment and verifies that these are compliant with regulations before signing off;
- Ensures that invoices are paid timely and correctly;
- Maintains an up-to-date overview of outstanding liabilities (including services and/or goods provided but not yet paid) at all times;
- Monitors and manages balance accounts including suspense accounts, advances, etc.;
- Ensures that the finance officer responsible for maintaining petty cash has a sufficient balance and that all transactions are supported by supporting documentation;
- Is first point of contact with the Bank and maintains regular contact;
- Reviews all draft contracts for financial correctness;
- Facilitates the activities of internal and external auditors when reviewing the accounts of Cordaid office.
- Prepares monthly financial reports in accordance with the global Planning & Control cycle including a forecast for upcoming periods and an analysis of the financial results of the office ,;
- Prepares financial reports for external donors in accordance with donor agreements, ensures that these are complete and compatible with narrative reporting;
- Provides staff with budget or financial information upon request;
- Prepares any other financial report as may be required.
- Is responsible, in close collaboration with the Director Country Offices and program heads, for the financial wellbeing (stability, liquidity, sustainability) of Cordaid office;
- Maintains a solid understanding of all Cordaid financial rules and regulations, as laid down in the Field Compendium and other official documentation, and ensures that all Cordaid staff acts in accordance with these;
- Regularly evaluates the effectiveness of the internal control and administrative organization in the office, reports to Country Director and Global office on his findings and pro-actively improves where possible
- Pro-actively provides advice to Management on areas of suggested improvement in financial management;
- Provides advice to partner organisations on financial matters in relation to Cordaid support;
- Develops partner capacity building programmes;
- Any other assignment that can reasonably be asked from the position.
- University Degree in financial management;
- At least seven years’ experience in working with an INGO, of which at least five in a senior financial position;
- Good and proven experience with working with various external (institutional) donors like UN, EC, Global Fund, Worldbank;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Strong organiser of one’s own work (knowing how to prioritise);
- Strong communication skills;
- Be diplomatic, culturally sensitive, result-oriented, innovative and a strong team player;
- Excellent French and English writing and communication skills;
- Work experience in fragile, stressful settings;
- Proficiency in financial software including Dynamics AX, Pastel/ Sage will be desirable;
Specifics of duty station
The Senior Financial Manager will be based in the Cordaid office in Bangui. Occasional travel to other project areas, security permitting, will occasionally be required. This is a non-accompanied posting.
The contract period is for one year starting as soon as possible, with the intention to extend for a longer period. We offer a competitive, fair and comprehensive salary and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. A Cordaid contract which includes R&R, a comprehensive insurance cover, social security and pension contribution, a holiday allowance, 13th month, hardship allowance and cost of living allowance.
Further information & how to apply
Applications including a motivation letter and extensive CV in English, including the contact details of at least three professional references, should be forwarded on attn. of mr. Sosthène Hicuburundi before 27 March 2019.
An integrity screening will be part of the application procedure.
Please note that we accept applications through this website only.