Cordaid believes in a world without poverty and exclusion. We strive for a just and sustainable society where every person counts. We stand for knowledge and talent sharing between North and South, between farmers and businesses, between activists and policymakers. Where poverty, conflict and exclusion divide societies, we connect people and communities. We stand for professionalism, expertise and solidarity across borders. We make a difference where it is most needed.
Together with more than 800 organizations in Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Latin America we structurally improve the living conditions of the poorest and most excluded populations - the bottom billion. We do that where natural disasters strike, where conflicts tear up communities and where underdevelopment keep families in extreme poverty. In the Netherlands we are known as Cordaid Memisa, Cordaid Mensen in Nood, Cordaid Kinderstem and Cordaid Microkrediet.
Cordaid is looking for a
Operational Manager Humanitarian Aid
(based in The Hague)
The Humanitarian Aid Unit aims to fulfill Cordaid’s humanitarian mandate to save lives and livelihoods of people in need of humanitarian assistance. Cordaid provides needs-based humanitarian assistance to people affected by natural or man-made disasters and with particular attention to the most vulnerable people. We build the capacities of local organizations to prepare and respond timely, effectively and appropriately to unfolding hazards and disaster. We reinforce and complement the local capacities that exist and partner with other international organizations to obtain maximum impact (scope, scale, and speed) with high quality interventions that meet the international principles and standards for humanitarian aid. We promote emergency aid activities with resilient recovery as an effective approach to increase resilience & sustainable impact and as a way to promote ‘Linking Relief, Rehabilitation and Development’ (LRRD) in humanitarian crises.
As team manager you are a born people manager and you supervise a team of 9 humanitarian aid professionals. You are ambitious and you are the driving force behind the humanitarian aid program. You stimulate the development of new initiatives and projects in cooperation with the fundraising unit and country offices.
You keep track of the progress and quality of the humanitarian aid projects and actively look for synergy with other Cordaid units. You manage the finances for the humanitarian aid program related to key performance indicators.
You report to the Program Unit Manager Humanitarian Aid and act as replacement. Furthermore you have a role in the operational management of key processes within the whole unit. You are part of the regular program unit managers meetings.
- You are an enthusiastic people manager both strategic and hands-on;
- You have at least 5 years experience in a management position within an international organization, including budget responsibility and HR management;
- You have a master degree in development cooperation or humanitarian aid;
- You have extensive in depth knowledge and experience, with multi-stakeholder processes and projects, in the field of emergency aid and disaster response
- You have experience with a security commitee
- You have proven knowledge and experience in the areas of program, financial and HR management;
- You are an excellent process manager;
- You are fluent in English and have good knowledge of French;
- You have an entrepreneurial personality with an eye for performance, opportunity and quality.
What we offer
- a responsible position in a professional organization;
- a varied role where initiative is encouraged;
- a global organization with a focus on social entrepreneurship;
- good working conditions;
- a gross monthly salary of € 3771, - up to € 5464, - based on a 36-hour week, depending on years of relevant experience;
- a position for 1 year (36 hours per week) with the possibility of extension, starting as soon as possible.
If you are interested in this position and you meet all the requirements, please send in your application before 2 maart 2018 with the ‘’apply’’ button att. of Barbara Mensink, HR advisor.
An assessment can be part of the selection procedure.
Acquisition regarding this vacancy is not appreciated