Cordaid stands with women, men and children whose basic needs are unmet and whose rights are trampled. Starting in the heart of their communities, Cordaid builds partnerships and mobilizes global networks, resources and knowledge to help people move beyond survival and live in dignity. This is how we work.
We campaign and catalyze change
We empower local communities to set their own agendas. We mobilize the private sector, pressure local governments and international decision makers to change policies and provide resources and public services that are more responsive to community needs.
We call upon citizens, companies and institutions to help us turn the tides of polarization and divide and to join us in reaching out to those who suffer.
To fulfil our mission and purpose, we:
- work in the most remote and fragile areas to address root causes of conflict and poverty;
- respond to acute crises all over the world, in collaboration with (amongst others) Caritas, the Dutch Cooperating Aid Organizations (SHO – Giro555) and the Dutch Relief Alliance and local civil society organizations;
- design and implement at scale development programs and projects with local partners;
- provide evidence-based lobby and advocacy services;
- share knowledge and expertise and provide high skill program and grant management services, shaped and tested by over 100 years of experience;
- combine different financing modalities, like results-based financing and blended finance (combining grants and loans);
- have the availability of investment funds worth over €80 million;
- raise funds from governmental and other institutional donors, companies and private contributors;
- have a strong global network of 264 funding and implementing partners, and offices in 12 countries;
- have a firm base in Dutch society with over 280,000 private donors.
Standards of performance and codes of conduct
Providing humanitarian assistance and development aid is a privilege. Setting and maintaining high standards of performance, for ourselves as well as for the organizations we work with, is essential to live up to this privilege.
These standards are part and parcel of all our contractual relationships, be it with organizations in the field, suppliers or other parties. Our anti-corruption, whistle-blower, reporting and corporate social responsibility, and other relevant policies and obligations are imposed on everyone we work with. This makes us transparent about mutual rights and obligations. And about the criteria we use when selecting partners, projects and suppliers.
A list of our main governance and policy documents and codes of conduct can be found on Compliance page.